You will all know I spend a great deal of time extensively testing the products I recommend, so the products I use and promote are ideal for our purposes. I receive no financial benefit from promoting any of the products. My goal is to give you a very comprehensive list of products (and a list of where you can purchase them) to help you on your painting journey. I have also combined with two wonderful companies in Germany to create my Susan Harrison-Tustain signature sets of da Vinci brushes and Schmincke paints.
The da Vinci Susan Harrison-Tustain Signature Watercolour Brush Sets
In addition to my Original superb da Vinci 6 brushes set (shown below this one), there is now a new set available – 7 all synthetic brushes in the classic leather pouch. It is the fabulous da Vinci Casaneo Brush Set (item no 5275).
The NEW da Vinci Susan Harrison-Tustain Casaneo Signature Brush Set:
This NEW Casaneo set contains 7 top quality Synthetic da Vinci brushes. It can ‘stand alone’ to give you a range of brushes that will provide virtually every function you will need in your watercolour painting, no matter what stage of your painting journey you are at. It also complements the Original set of brushes and will give you years of painting pleasure. Each brush has my name on it and the soft black leather pouch has my embossed signature. The Casaneo set contains:
- da Vinci CASANEO Watercolour brush slanted edge Series 5597 Size 10 – This slanted liner brush allows me to create the perfect flowing line while delivering the paint in an even and controlled flow. It has multiple purposes from a beautifully fine line – to a wide line – to a petal in just one swoop! It flows effortlessly with the movement of your hand.
- da Vinci CASANEO Wash brush oval pointed Series 898 Size 12 – The pointed oval can be used for numerous purposes. The oval tip is a wonderful bonus as this gives me that gentle soft-edged shape I love to create when cutting around a subject.
- da Vinci CASANEO Watercolour brush flat Series 5898 Size 8 – This brush is ideal for delicate colour lifting and ‘cutting in’.
- da Vinci VARIO-TIP brush flat Series 1381 Size 6 – This unusual and useful brush is for special effects. I use it for such subjects as feathers, fur, hair and wood-grain.
- da Vinci CASANEO Wash brush Series 498 Size 0 – A mop brush is essential. This one allows such a beautiful controlled flow of pigment from a wide barrel – such a joy to use.
- da Vinci NOVA brush flat Series 122 Size 2 – My ‘invaluable scrubby brush’. It has just the right amount of flex for effective and gentle scrubbing and softening edges, without endangering the surface of your paper. Plus I straighten lines, paint dry-brush feathers, etc as well as add those essential last minute fine-tuning strokes with this versatile brush.
- da Vinci CASANEO Mottler brush Series 5098 Size 40 – Great for large washes, this brush is excellent for ‘cutting’ around the subject when laying in those washes.
The ORIGINAL da Vinci Susan Harrison-Tustain Signature Brush Set:
For many years I have loved my da Vinci brushes. You may also know how much I loved my Isabey quill brush. Now it is no longer in production. Some years ago I spoke with a representative of da Vinci in Germany for the first time. He knew of me and my work. He also knew how highly I regard the da Vinci handcrafted brushes.
I told him about the Isabey brush that is no longer in production. As a result da Vinci have created an even bigger and better quill brush for me – all hand made in Germany (each hair layed on individually). This new brush is brilliant. Not only that but da Vinci have put together a superb ‘Signature Set’ of watercolor brushes, perfect for watercolor painting using my methods and techniques. The other exciting news is that the brushes are rolled in a gorgeous soft black leather brush pouch.
The set contains 6 top quality da Vinci brushes:
- da Vinci MAESTRO Kolinsky sable brushes Series 11 Sizes 6 & 2 – These are the wonderful brushes I have always loved and used over the years. I show a Size 1 in my new Watercolor DVD, but the Size 2 does the equivalent job.
- da Vinci ARTISSIMO Kolinsky red sable quill brush Series 428 (prev 44) Size 3 – This size was not previously available. It is equivalent to a size 16. This superb brush is even better than the Isabey brush I treasured for so long.
- da Vinci NOVA Synthetic brushes flat Series 122 Sizes 4 & 2 – These have just the right amount of flex for effective and gentle scrubbing and softening edges – without endangering the surface of your paper. I have always used these – they are invaluable.
- da Vinci SPIN Synthetic wash brush Series 5080 Size 50 – 50mm (2″) wide. I previously used another brand which is very good – but this one is even better for ‘cutting’ around the subject when laying in large washes.
Each brush has my name on it and the soft black leather pouch has my embossed signature. It really is a superb set, elegant in style, practical and of course the brushes are my favourite brushes. There is room in the pouch for other brushes if you wish too. The extra good news is that the set is very reasonably priced when compared with purchasing the brushes individually.
The first person to buy the set in the USA was Ed from Florida. This is part of what what he wrote to me, after first mentioning the value of the Artissimo size 3:“Needless to say, all the other wonderful brushes are high quality and almost a giveaway. I don’t want to forget the sexy little soft leather brush pouch. Good job Susan, your students should be delighted and if they don’t go for this opportunity I just don’t know what to say.” Now I know it sounds as if I must be on commission here, but I assure you – I’m not.
Susan Harrison-Tustain Signature Brush Sets are currently available through these retailers:
- AUSTRALIA: Parkers Fine Art Supplies. For the page displaying both sets please click HERE. There the Original set is called ‘Brush Set 1’ and the New Casaneo set is called ‘Brush Set 2’
- UK: Jackson’s Art Supplies. For the Original set of 6 brushes please click HERE
For the NEW Casaneo set of 7 synthetic brushes please click HERE
- USA: Gregory Daniels Fine Arts, the importer of da Vinci brushes into the USA, has the brush sets available.
Click HERE for the page showing both sets
For the Original set of 6 brushes please click HERE
For the NEW Casaneo set of 7 synthetic brushes please click HERE
The Schmincke Susan Harrison-Tustain Signature Watercolour Paint set
Schmincke have also put together a brilliant ‘Signature Set’ of my colours – 12 x 5 ml tubes in a Japanned black metal boxed set that doubles as a travel set or mixing palettes. It really is brilliant and something that has been suggested to me so many times.
This set includes the Schmincke Sap Green, Ultramarine Blue and Ruby Red in addition to my main palette of colors. I have discovered my perfect Sap Green by mixing Schmincke Sap Green and a little Schmincke Transparent Orange.
The size of the tubes is ideal as I use paint sparingly. A tube of paint would easily last at least 1 – 2 years, even if you paint most days. The 5 ml tubes mean that the full set, including the lovely metal box (which is also a mixing palette) is reasonably priced too.
The metal box is black with the Schmincke logo and my signature in gold. The inside of the set is white which makes it ideal for mixing. The colours in this set will allow you to paint any subject at all – and having a beautiful container like this makes it so very practical.
I know you will love these special signature sets as so many of you find the vast array of materials confusing to wade through. My aim is to simplify your choice by doing all of the trial and error for you!
Enjoy & Have Fun!
DVD’s and Video Downloads
Order Susan’s highly acclaimed and popular instruction DVD sets below.
DVD: Watercolor Masterclass Volume One: “Painting Life-Like Leaves and Vibrant Greens” – for all skill levelsUS$54.50
One-on-One Watercolor Workshops with Susan Harrison-Tustain – for all skill levelsUS$54.50
Painting Watercolor My Way with Susan Harrison-Tustain – for all skill levelsUS$54.50
Watercolor Portrait Workshop with Susan Harrison-Tustain – for all skill levelsUS$54.50